Another quilting blog, ugh! Why? Well, I’ve been trying to neaten and straighten my notes, thoughts, resources, works in progress, and my work. So, I thought a blog might be the way to go. It’s for me primarily. If anyone else stumbles on it, that’s fine. I considered using Pinterest, but decided I needed the ability to add words. So here I am.
- fabric, especially hand dyed (which I can’t afford) and vividly colored stuff
- designing improvisational quilts
- the design process
- learning techniques
- messing about with scraps of fabric (see above)
- paper piecing, especially the freezer paper way
I don’t love:
- control freaks who use rulers to check the straightness of my sewing lines (aka the quilt police)
- following patterns – where’s the fun in that
- floral fabric (gag me)
- overpriced quilting gadgets – don’t get me started on all those rulers
- cutsey stuff (unusable baby gifts, hostess aprons, table runners, Xmas tree skirts, Halloween banners….you get my drift)
- hand applique, though I’ve used it
- anything fussy and twee.
My goals (er, my good intentions):
- quilt all my tops (I can hear the laughter now)
- learn to free motion quilt proficiently (this is necessary to accomplish goal one – especially my only real art quilt)
- use up most of my stash before I buy more fabric (being on a tight budget is really helpful here)
- produce some quilts characterized by subtlety and close attention to detail
- actually make a series of quilts rather than trying to stuff all my ideas into one.