It’s always humbling when you think you know how to fix something and then it turns out that you don’t. A month or so ago I wrote about a problem with a quilt I call Beaded Curtain.
It’s my interpretation of a Jacquie Gering design. I didn’t have enough of the blue solid colored background fabric and had to order more online after I failed to find a match at local quilt shops.
I thought it would be OK, but the new fabric was a titch lighter than the original stuff, as you can see in the photo above. I used the new fabric to make the corners of the “beads.” Then, I assumed I could disguise the slight shade difference with quilting and variegated thread, and began quilting with a serpentine stitch and my walking foot.
Despite close lines of quilting that took almost a week to do (this kind of quilting is really boring to do so I tend not to work at it for long stretches) the color difference was still evident. Unless I quilted every quarter inch I didn’t think more quilting would help.
After stewing about this for a few weeks and concluding the color difference really bothered me, I decided there was no hope for this quilt except painting the fabric to match.
No, she didn’t, you say. Yes, I mixed my Jacquard fabric paints to create the closest match I could to the original fabric, thinned the result with water, and went to work.
How successful my rescue attempt was varies according to the angle of light on the quilt. Light is reflected differently off the painted and unpainted fabric, so in certain lights (outside of a dark closet) the color correction doesn’t show while under other conditions it does. And I’ve discovered that my camera varies wildly as to how it photographs that blue.
I think the problem is a bit less noticeable, but still there. Where I display this quilt is going to be tricky. If light casts shadows on it, viewers will cast aspersions.