Maybe I should call 2014 my Year of the Pillow. While I procrastinated on a “serious” project I turned out yet another pillow using a tutorial from Crazy Old Ladies on machine appliqueing the orange peel design.
I scaled my block down to 3 inches and designed a peel to fit that size. This method has you sew lightweight fusible interfacing to your fabric right sides together, then make a slit in the interfacing and turn the peel right side out. You need to finger press only at this stage.
Here are my peels turned and ready to arrange on the background fabric. One glitch with this method is that it was hard for me to get the end points sharp without tearing the interfacing. Perhaps a different interfacing might hold up better. Or the problem may have been that I scaled down the peel size too far.
At this point I decided to not bother cutting up the background fabric but just position the peels on a whole piece of fabric. This was a real time saver. Once I had everything positioned I ironed the peels down and machine quilted the edges. Then I added more stitching around the outside of the peels and stitched a grid.
I went with a button closure (finally used those buttons I bought at NQA in 2007) and a machine sewn edge binding. Yes, a corded edge is lovely, but I didn’t have any cording and wasn’t likely to find any at 10:30 at night.
The fabrics used are a mix from a Cloud 9 organic fat quarter bundle, Migratory Lace (one of my targets to use in 2014,) hand dyed solids, and a quarter yard cut no one else in my guild would touch. The yellow fabric I bought online, and was surprised it was so bright.