Since I was without the internet this past weekend, most likely thanks to incompetent road crews, I had plenty of time to work on a small challenge quilt.
An art quilt group I belong to will have a fall exhibit at a Cleveland bookstore. We plan to show challenge quilts made for this exhibit. Our theme is words. We thought this was apt, given our venue.
My literal mind devised exactly that – words. On Pinterest I found a poster that said “Make Do.” I loved the letters and asked Paul Garbett, the Australian designer if I could use his poster. He graciously said yes and I adapted his design to fit the challenge’s size limitations. And of course I used fabric.
Once I drew out my letters, I decided to make do and use only re-purposed fabrics – my husband’s old dress shirts, a thrift store Hawaiian shirt, and a painted drop cloth. I made 1/4 inch bias tape from a striped shirt for the E and D. I used the 6 minute circle technique for the O.