For a few posts I plan to feature work that I’ve completed recently. I guess I’d better get cracking so I’m not a one post wonder.
I began Rust Never Sleeps over a year ago with bits of cloth I had dyed, discharged, and tortured in some fashion. Rather than sew the bits together I elected to lay them on fusible batting and a backing, and then press the result once I covered all the batting. I created lots of raw edges, which I stitched down as I quilted. This technique worked to my advantage since I was going for a coarse, worn look inspired by lots of photos of rusty buildings, roofs, iron, etc. If you’re really interested, you can look at my Pinterest board called Rust.
Back to Pinterest where I found I had pinned a photo of a fire escape. Eureka! There’s lots of rust on old fire escapes.
I played with different configurations of a fire escape silhouette, settled on one, put Mistyfuse on black silk organza, cut out strips, arranged and secured them. With a bit more quilting and a zigzagged yarn edge I was done.